Rambling wild

A blank canvas awaiting my thoughts and views on what's happening anywhere - where ever my mind takes me. A page to let the ramblings of a woman fall into, coalesce and perhaps create a painting.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Too Blue to write

Well, I have not written for quite a while now. Not because I was busy - I always have time to write a few lines but because I was afraid to write about what I was feeling and thinking . Nothing ominious - just good old work related stuff. I knew that once I pick up a pen to write about what was going on, I would spew venom fit to hurt eyes that read it and so I just decided to let it pass. I know, I know I sound cryptic but the whole idea of this blog was to get away from work and write about things that have nothing to do with what I do everyday - an antidote to my real work.
However, writing is a hell of a sneaking passtime - once you start typing - your feelings come through and I just did not feel comfortable talking about work to a blog - my personal journal that is open to all.
Enough or I will never stop.
Anyways, while I was quiet, I did read a lot of books. And realized that my habit of reading mystery and thrillers almost everyday has corrupted me because I have to sadly admit that reading real literary books is a chore. I picked up a few of VS Naipual's books and found then pedantic and slow except for " A House for Mr. Biswas".
And having read a few of his books back to back, I realized that the difference was that in most of his books, the style was narrative and the protagonists were all like Naipual himself. - you know, left Trinidad at 18 to go to England on a scholarship; live on Seven Pounds a week and then become a writer. All except Mr. Biswas - his most interesting character. How I loved that book - unlike the others that plodded along in beautiful and grammatically proper English - rather like a pucca English gentleman albeit a tad boring - Mr. Biswas is written with lively conversations in Trinidad English. The book is jam-packed with conversations - not narrations. It is alive and every chapter was a joy to read. It stays with you afterwards and I found myself saying " hellofva thing" like the characters did. Mr. Biswas is both rebellious and dependant on his powerful dowager mother-in-law and this desire to assert his independence and be his own man is the crux of the whole story.
Enough said - read it yourself and discover Mr. Biswas at your leisure.
His other books that I read ( half a live and Enigma of arrival ) are more slow and intropective reading material and I have to read them again when I don't have the need of a quick fix that only Agatha Raisin or Hamish Macbeth ( MC beaton mystery characters- my current loves ) can fix.

More on that vein later - it is late and I have to work tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home