Rambling wild

A blank canvas awaiting my thoughts and views on what's happening anywhere - where ever my mind takes me. A page to let the ramblings of a woman fall into, coalesce and perhaps create a painting.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

War

I can't beleive we have been at war for so long with no end in sight - like the president, I thought we would go in, quickly subdue Sadam and liberate the Iraqi's; start self government and then get out. Not that I was for the war - I am certainly not a pacifist and if someone attacks us on our home turf - we should certainly retaliate. Somehow, I missed the event when Sadam attacked us on US soil or even threatened us. I never understood the rationale for this seemingly endless war. I especially feel sad when I see Cindy Sheehan - no way to empathize - what do I know of losing a child? What do I Know of knowing that you borne a beloved child to lose him to a war that makes no sense? It is far better for those mom who still beleive that their sons died protecting the country - the honor of producing sons who become protectors of the country.

I actually heard one of the mothers ( those who say Cindy does not speak for them) say that her son was at war because we were attacked - and I was happy for her even if I fail to see the logic of equating the terrorists as Iraqi agressors. Unfortunately, when you are in the military, it is your job to defend or fight where the president sends you. Under the circumstances, it is better for the families to have complete faith and just act on whatever the president says. If they start to question and think and rationalize, they would all be like Cindy - demanding answers where none is forthcoming.
I mean, what is the president supposed to say - WMD is no longer applicable as that excuse can no longer be proferred. The best he could say is perhaps that we liberated the Iraqis from an evil dictator but then what would Cindy say but that the ordinary citizens are now far worse off that when the evil dictator ruled with his iron fist crushing anyone he or his sons wanted to. At least they had the basic amenities and could walk the streets to do thier errands, visit friends or whatever without the fear of being blown off.
And if the job of our military was to get rid of dictators - there are a lot of suffering populace around the world under some tyrant or the other.

So, if you want to stay sane, sometimes, it is just better not to ask any questions but just accept the situation and support your country and your president. However, before you cast your vote next time - do please rethink and evaluate your candidate and when in doubt just vote for the smarter man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home